Choosing the Right Ecommerce Software for Your Business
If you have an online business, you’ll surely need an eCommerce software. There are a lot of things to consider if you want to choose one. In order to make the best decision, you should focus on the products you’re selling, your budget and if you need any specific features.
eCommerce & Shopping Cart Software: Differences
You might be thinking that the two terms are interchangeable and mean the same thing. While that may be partly true, it’s also partly wrong. Both types of software help you create and manage a website-based store, from which people can buy your products. However, the main difference between the two is that they’re aimed at people with different needs.
If you already have a website and you only want to implement payment functionality, then you’ll be better relying on a shopping cart software. Since they usually come as plug-ins, only some level of customization and tools are available.
On the other hand, if you need a fully fledged website, then an eCommerce software is more suited to your situation. Whether you need to design your website, to host it or simply more freedom and features in managing your store, an eCommerce software lets you do just that.
In general, what you should be asking yourself when deciding between eCommerce and shopping cart should be:
- Do I want to build my own website?
- Do I want to do it easily?
- Do I need marketing solutions and sharing features?
- Do I want to keep track of my profits/statistics?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then an eCommerce solution is what you should really opt for.
eCommerce Features & Benefits
If an eCommerce software is what you need, you’d also want to know what capabilities it can offer and if it’s easy to use. After all, if you’re going with an eCommerce solution, you are looking for an easily customizable experience.
The main features that eCommerce software offer are:
- Website creation functionalities: from hosting to creating and customizing your website, everything is included in eCommerce software. Create your website without any skill requirements.
- Payment processing: all eCommerce software include a variety of payment methods, so you don’t need to do any manual work.
- Online store & customization: changing how your store looks is just a click away.
- Marketing: offer discounts, advertise and share!
- Security: SSL encryption and other security tools are necessary to keep your store safe.
- Mobile support: a good eCommerce software doesn’t let go of mobile users. Mobile purchases and (of course) website support are offered.
However, the advantage of eCommerce software don’t lie in the features offered, but in their ease of use. Not only this will let you save time, but also money, since you don’t have to hire developers to add the features that you want. Keep your payments secure and support different currencies, with the only requirement of you doing absolutely nothing.
Costs are determined by many factors, mainly the features and the capabilities you’re offered. Because of this, prices can go from some dozens of dollars to well over a hundred dollars a month. However, if you need some additional features, you can rely on the many free plug-ins available.
If you want to go for an eCommerce software, but you don’t know which one is best suited for you, don’t rush: see if it’s designed to your type of business and if it satisfies all of your needs. Then, and only then, start creating your new online store.